Sires' Stakes Update
Final rankings confirmed for prestigious Fillies Series
True Fantasy is the early favourite but a top line-up of two-year-olds have qualified for the Dunstan Horsefeeds Sires’ Stakes Fillies Series 38 Final at Alexandra Park on New Year’s Eve.
The Group One feature will see the Mark Purdon-Hayden Cullen trained star go up against the likes of northern sensation Lady Of The Light, Remember Me and the Robert and Jenna Dunn-trained pair of Allegra and First Rose.
First Rose made it two from two when she produced a tough effort to down Fire And Delight and Forever A Dancer in the fourth and final heat at Alexandra Park on Friday night. Favourite Lady Of The Light was fourth, her first defeat after five straight wins.
She had won an earlier heat, as did True Fantasy and Allegra. Thirteen fillies will be in the final.
True Fantasy is a $1.85 favourite in the early markets. She has won six from ten, and last start was second behind Allegra, who is currently a $5 second favourite.
The Cran and Chrissie Dalgety-trained Remember Me is next at $4.20, followed by Lady Of The Light at $6.
The December 31 final, with an estimated stake of $150,000, will be the last time this race is run at the end of the year, with the next Sires’ Stakes Fillies Series scheduled for autumn 2023.
However there will be a $50,000 3YO Fillies Race at Alexandra Park in May 2022 for all fillies eligible for the 3YO division of Series 38.
The Fillies Series has been taken out by some absolute champions since it was first run in 1991 with the winners’ list including Tigerish (1992), Under Cover Lover (1998), Adore Me (2012) and Amazing Dream (2019).
Some of the winners have also been top broodmares, including 2004 champion Foreal (Field Marshall) and 2011 winner Twist And Twirl (King Of Swing and Bettor Twist).
The final has been run over varying distances over the years – from the mile in the early days to its current 2200m. Golden Goddess recorded the fastest 2200m time when she won in 2015 (2:36.9).
Dunstan Horsefeeds Sires’ Stakes Fillies Series 38 Ranking Order :
Championship / Silver 2021
1. True Fantasy - M Purdon & H J Cullen
2. Allegra - R J & Mrs J A Dunn
3. Lady Of The Light - J M Young
4. First Rose - R J & Mrs J A Dunn
5. Remember Me - C T & Mrs C M Dalgety
6. Obsession - S G & Ms A L Telfer
7. Fire And Delight - G A Rogerson & D P Ferguson
8. Forever A Dancer - F D Cooney & T R Hopkins
9. Cover Girl - R J Butt
10. Millwood Indie - P B Burrows
11. A Little Side Hustle - P T & V P Blanchard
12. Dance Till Dawn - R J & Mrs J A Dunn
13. Chambray - M Purdon & H J Cullen
14. Miki Montana - B Purdon & S D Phelan
15. Precious Belle - S G & Ms A L Telfer
16. Mary Austin - T R Barron
17. The Iron Lady - L G Hollis & S M Robertson
18. Taste Of Diamonds - S J Reid & S W McMullan
19. Chantilly - B Purdon & S D Phelan
20. Rakero Rebel - P B Burrows
21. Artisan - B Purdon & S D Phelan
22. Queen Of Diamonds - M Purdon & H J Cullen
If there are four or more acceptors the Dunstan Horsefeeds' Sires' Stakes Series 38 Silver will be held at Cambridge on January 7.
To be eligible for the Final or the Silver horses must have raced in at least one of the heats.
For the series summary click here.
For more information contact Martin Pierson [email protected]