NZB Standardbred Yearling Sales start today
by Dave Di Somma, Harness News Desk
A full brother to dual New Zealand Cup champion Copy That and a full sister to superstar trotter Muscle Mountain are among the yearlings up for sale at the fifth annual NZB Standardbred Yearling sales in Auckland and Christchurch this week.
A total of around 400 yearlings will go through the ring, starting in Auckland today from 12pm, and then moving to Christchurch for three days from Monday, February 20.
As well as the proven sires like Bettor's Delight, Art Major, Majestic Son and Muscle Hill there will also be strong lineup of progeny from first season sires including Captain Crunch and Lather Up.
Sunday's Auckland sale (around 120 yearlings) starts at 12pm, with Monday's sale of the trotters starting at 3pm, and the two final days (pacers) getting underway at 1pm.
International buyers are expected to be back for the first time since 2020.
Among the yearlings expected to attract the most interest are :
- Offered by Woodlands Stud, Lot 79 is an American Ideal colt out of Lively Nights (NZ), who is a full brother to talented Group One winner and two-time New Zealand Cup winner Copy That (NZ).
- Lot 123 is a Bettor’s Delight colt out of Group One-winning dam Twist and Twirl (NZ). He is a full brother to multiple Group One winner Bettor Twist (NZ) and a half-brother to prolific Group One-winning King Of Swing (Rocknroll Hanover).
- Lot 174 is a filly by Muscle Hill out of Pegasus Spur mare Paramount Faith (NZ). This makes her a full sister to 2021 Group One New Zealand Trotting Championship winner Muscle Mountain (NZ).
- Offered by Renwick Farm, Lot 199 is a colt by Bettor’s Delight out of Christian Cullen mare Adore To Our Dreams (NZ), making him a full brother to leading NZB Standardbred graduate and multiple Group One winner Akuta (NZ).
- Lot 240 is a Bettor’s Delight filly out of Christian Dreamer (NZ) (Christian Cullen) offered by Shard Farm, making her a full sister to seven-time Group One winner Amazing Dream (NZ), as well as Group One winner (Lets) Chase the Dream (NZ).
The Sale will be streamed live on NZB's website and the NZB Standardbred Facebook page. For those in NZ watching via TV, tune in to Freeview Channel 200. Preview shows hosted by Michael Guerin and Greg O'Connor begin 30 minutes prior to selling each day, with the review show following the end of selling.