Clarification around training under Alert Level 4

Hi everyone, 

There’s been a lot of feedback, and some confusion, about what trainers can do with their horses during lockdown.

With Alert Level 4 continuing longer than many thought it would I thought a quick reminder wouldn’t go astray.

Trainers are allowed to do light work with their horses,  i.e. no fast work.  The reason for no fast work is to comply with the requirement by WorkSafe to minimise the risk of injury.

Light exercise is permitted on the grounds of animal welfare, and a trainer will know how much exercise is needed for an individual horse so that they are kept calm and in a good mental state.

HRNZ understands the issues this has caused and has applied to the appropriate authorities for permission to continue to work horses during Alert Level 4 and are waiting on a response. In the meantime we need to continue to abide by Government protocols and rules to ensure we can continue to race at Level 3.

Trainers who don’t have their own tracks and do not have a horse walker or treadmill or a suitable spelling paddock for the horse are able to travel with their horses to a local track to provide them with light exercise on a daily basis.

Racecourses are not open and there are no trials or workouts under Alert Level 4.

Under Alert Level 3 racing will resume under strict protocols. There will be no spectators and numbers attending a race day will be restricted in line with Government advice, and drivers will not be permitted to travel between different Alert levels.  

Under Alert Level 3 horses can travel to meetings but drivers cannot - therefore, for instance, Canterbury drivers can't go to Invercargill this weekend, and vice verse. 

A reminder too that everyone has to be so vigilant when it comes to scanning, social distancing, wearing face masks and hand sanitising.  We also recommend that you follow Government advice to get vaccinated against Covid.

Hopefully most of us will be out of Alert Level 4 this weekend, and then we can gradually return to something like normal.

In addition to the announcements yesterday regarding racing, the Waikato BOP meeting this Thursday has now been transferred to Friday September 3rd with a 3pm start. The Auckland TC meeting on Thursday September 2nd has been cancelled. There may be an opportunity at a later date to add an additional Auckland meeting if horse numbers warrant it.

Take care and stay safe

Gary

 

Gary Woodham

Chief Executive

HRNZ 

< BACK TO ALL

Related Category News

7 September 2021

HRNZ Order and Direction - Alert Level 2

"Delta" Alert Level 2 will see some changes to how race meetings are held. . .

More
7 September 2021

COVID-19 Information from HRNZ

Useful updates and information from HRNZ can be found here to help you through the latest COVID-19 outbreak.

More