10 Fun Facts about Forbury Park
8 July 2021
As Forbury prepares for its final ever meeting, here are 10 fun facts about Forbury Park.
- Forbury Park's first meeting was in 1909
- The biggest moment was the 1965 Inter-dominions (only time they have been held in NZ outside Auckland or Christchurch). It was a dead heat between Jay Ar and Robin Dundee - the first and only dead heat in an ID final ever.
- In 1960 Forbury Park installed floodlights, first track in the South Island to do so.
- Courage Under Fire made his debut, at Forbury, going on to famously win his first 24 starts.
- Auckland Reactor won a Sires' Stakes heat there in 2007
- Adore Me won her one and only race there in 2012.
- Alexy will race for the 113th time at Forbury Park tonight - he has won there six times, while Four Starzz Shiraz (10) and Aveross Rustler (8) have won the most races at Forbury. All three will be racing tonight.
- There have been some massive upsets at Forbury Park, just this year Mr Olympus won, paying $122. Other longshots were Vanity Scott in 1959, Max Peterson in 1972, Smokeaway (1963).
- Dexter Dunn has the most wins as a driver, 422 (see video), followed by Ricky May (258). Dexter had 7 winners in one night at Forbury Park in May 2015.
- The top trainer is Graeme Anderson (179) from Cran Dalgety (166) and Bruce Negus (140).
< BACK TO ALL