Auckland TC - Friday 10th August
Meeting: Auckland TC – Friday 10th August
Form Analyst: Matthew Peden
Track Distance: 1006m Surface: All Weather
Best Bet(s) R8 – (7) NEW YORK RAIN
Best Value Bet R7 – (1) RUSSIAN ALSU
Early Quaddie R2-5. - 1,3,7/1,2,11/1,10,12/1,4
Late Quaddie R7-10 1,2,8,9/7/1,5,8/1,2
Selections: (5) WHIPS N SPURS, (1) GREAT FANTASY, (6) ONE YANKEE SON, (12) SAINT MICHEL
Suggested bet: Trifecta: 1,5/1,4,5,6,12/1,4,5,6,9,11,12
6yo Pegasus Spur debutante (5) WHIPS N SPURS finds a winnable race to kick off his late start to his career for trainer/driver Derek Balle. After a quiet workout in late July, he was produced last week at the trials, where he led and trotted faultlessly throughout, scoring with plenty in hand. He will need to handle his first night out at the races, and with further improvement from his trial, he should be extremely competitive tonight.
(1) GREAT FANTASY showed he has a tidy future when on debut at this track a fortnight ago. He began cleanly and was able to settle on the speed, before finishing a half length off the eventual winner. With the advantage of a raceday start under his belt, so long as he handles the stand start conditions as well as he did the mobile, he will be there when it counts.
(6) ONE YANKEE SON was formerly prepared by Leo O’Reilly, prior to being transferred to astute trainers of a trotter in Wallis/Hackett. His manners have let him down thus far in his short career, but he did look far more comfortable trotting the Auckland way of going in his workout in late July, where he actually defeated (5) WHIPS N SPURS. If Todd Mitchell can weave some magic and get him away clean from the unruly and trotting throughout, they’ll know he’s there.
The enigmatic (12) SAINT MICHEL resumes for new trainer Tim Vince after an array of inconsistent performances last campaign. At his best he would be more than competitive in a field like this, it’s more a matter of which version of him shows up. One that must be included in multiples.
Selections: (3) BENSON BOYS, (1) IDEAL TIGER, (7) GIBSON GIRL, (2) TYCOON TIGER
Suggested bet: (3) BENSON BOYS - WIN
Barry Purdon debutante (3) BENSON BOYS has looked good in his public outings in preparation for tonight. Finds a winnable race and can be put on the front end with his good gate speed.
His stablemate (1) IDEAL TIGER has too performed well at the trials and workouts, Has options from the pole and a good hope on debut.
(7) GIBSON GIRL is an impeccably bred 3yo filly from the former Group 1 winning mare Carpenters Daughter. Her most recent outing was promising behind (2) TYCOON TIGER), both of which did some good work their last 800. Two very good chances in an even field.
(5) AMERICAN VICTORY has been brought patiently up to speed for tonight, she looks to have a sharp turn of speed and if she can get some cover just off them she will get her chance to finish on late.
Selections: (1) IDEAL INVASION, (11) BAR ROOM BRAWL, (10) GEENAS GIRL, (2) ASH
Suggested bet: (!) IDEAL INVASION - WIN
9yo (1) IDEAL INVASION is racing in consistent fashion at present including a nice win two back. Todd MacFarlane jumps aboard and from the front tape he will take beating.
The Dickie pair of (11) BAR ROOM BRAWL and (10) GEENAS GIRL both look well in commission. Leaning slightly towards BAR ROOM BRAWL based on Joshua’s choice to drive him, but there isn’t much between either of them and they’ll make their presence felt.
(2) ASH has been well supported in her races since moving north, and has the ability to beat them from her front mark, but does need to be taken on trust as her manners are unreliable.
Selections: (1) BILL HALEY, (!2) ITS OFFICIAL BABE, (10) THE BIG CHEESE, (9) SIMON
Suggested bet: (1) BILL HALEY.- WIN
(1) BILL HALEY couldn’t have been more impressive in his workout last Saturday. Fired out he lead throughout rating 1.59.5 (55.0 27.3). He would only need to race up to that same performance to be mighty hard to beat. On top for us.
(12) ITS OFFICIAL BABE couldn’t have been more impressive scoring in late June at Addington. Gets an in form junior driver and if she handles her first look at The Park she’s going to take catching.
(10) THE BIG CHEESE did a power of work last start at Cambridge and still managed to hold third. Luke Whittaker will be looking to push through at the start and with a more favourable journey he will be a threat late.
(9) SIMON draws to follow through on the back of the likely leader. Taking on some better ones than he has been but did win from a similar trip last start.
Selections: (4) RED REACTOR, (1) SLY ELANOR, (3) FEEL THE BURN, (2) ENGLISH ROSE
Suggested bet: (4) RED REACTOR – EACH WAY
Sticking with (4) RED REACTOR on an each way basis. His form prior to his last start was sound, Maurice is back aboard, and the blinds back on. He can use his good gate speed and give them a good shake.
(1) SLY ELANOR steps out fresh tonight after two workouts to prepare, including a second behind Bill Haley last weekend. She will sit just off them and look to use her good turn of speed up the passing lane the final time.
(3) FEEL THE BURN looked primed now following four runs from a break. Finished stoutly last start in an equal field, and gets her chance to bring up win number 2 tonight.
(2) ENGLISH ROSE is racing consistently, should be on the speed, and is a runner that is a must for all exotics.
Selections: (11) REALMEIN, (2) HEARD THE WHISPER, (9) K D HALL, (7) LOVELY BUNDY
Suggested bet: (11) REALMEIN
Going with the old boy (11) REALMEIN who put the writing on the wall last start where he did his fair share of work before working to the top, and being caught late. His course/distance stats are good, and he strikes a field that is well within his reach.
(2) HEARD THE WHISPER hasn’t won since 2016, but is worth consideration on an each way basis. 3rd up since moving north, Todd MacFarlane takes over the lines from Bernie Hackett, and the sliding blinds applied to hopefully sharpen him up when it counts. Race conditions suit him and if he is going to get back to anywhere near his best this is his chance.
(9) K D HALL is racing in good form of late, is strong and should appreciate the 2700. A bridesmaid at his past two, will be looking to go one better.
(7) LOVELY BUNDY has been racing consistently and she too will be doing her best work late in the closing stages.
Selections: (1) RUSSIAN ALSU, (2) REDMARO, (8) WESTERN DELIGHT, (2) HELIX
Suggested bet: (1) RUSSIAN ALSU – EACH WAY
In an even field, sticking with (1) RUSSIAN ALSU with an each way ticket. Last start she was forced to sit parked throughout, but fought bravely up the lane finishing just under 3 lengths off the winner. She can use her good draw to her advantage.
(9) REDMARO was spotted doing some good late work in his last outing. He gets the draw to have a cosy trip and if the gaps open up at the right time he is capable of finishing over the top.
(8) WESTERN DELIGHT is racing extremely well, but will need a gem of a drive from Nicky to overcome the sticky gate.
(2) HELIX is expected to again press forward and look to control the speed. Had his chance last time out, but now third up this preparation and gets his chance to break through once more.
Suggested bet: (7) NEW YORK RAIN - WIN
(7) NEW YORK RAIN was nothing if not game last Thursday night at Cambridge, where after being forced to work hard during the middle stages, she was nailed right on the line, all in good time. She finds the perfect race to go one better in.
There has been plenty to like about. (3) SOMETHINGABOUTMARY’s form thus far this preparation. Her chances were taken care with by the draw last start and she draws to seek redemption.
(5) PRIME SILVER controlled them before running home in a slippery last 800 at her most recent outing. She rises in grade but on that effort she won’t be without a hope, while (2) THREE KISSES hasn’t been too far away of late, and gets her chance to be in the money.
Selections: 6) CHEDDARS PRINCESS, (5) AUTHENTIC, (1) YSHADOWME, (3) WHITEHAVEN BEACH
Suggested bet: (1) YSHADOWME – EACH WAY
(6) CHEDDARS PRINCESS was the beneficiary of a cosy run in the trail at her most recent outing, where she followed her stablemate throughout. When presented clear air up the straight she accelerated nicely, and on that run she looks a top chance this evening.
(5) AUTHENTIC was the margin abbreviator last start after the lead pair broke clear, chasing stoutly into third. With a kinder trip, his last two have shown he is nearing his breakthrough victory.
(1) YSHADOWME is yet to place at three outings, but has shown signs the ability is there. Gets the plum draw, and the astute combination of Maurice McKendry/Hughes & Hughes deserve respect in a field of this nature.
9 start maiden (3) WHITEHAVEN BEACH has looked sharp at the workouts for new trainer/driver Craig Smith. He finds himself in a fairly shallow race and gets his chance to break through.
Selections: (1) CMEEROCK, (2) ZADAKA, (5) NO DOCTOR NEEDED, (3) MAX PHACTOR
Suggested bet: (1) CMEEROCK – EACH WAY
Keen at odds to play around (1) CMEEROCK. She has the advantage of 20m head-start over the handicapped runners in the field. She is third up from a break, and winner at the trip. Sliding blinds are on to wake her up in the straight, and she can give them something to catch. Each way.
Stablemate (2) ZADAKA is 1/1 off the stand, and has won at the journey. A clean getaway would see him close enough and he will be rattling home.
(5) NO DOCTOR NEEDED is without doubt the class horse of the small field, though has to overcome his 30m handicap first up from a break. He will take benefit from tonight, but that isn’t to say he won’t be doing his best work late.