Animal Welfare Act – new regulations
On 1 October this year new animal welfare regulations come into effect. Check out the information here – www.mpi.govt.nz/animalregs
The changes to the regulations make it easier for MPI and the SPCA to take action against animal mistreatment. New penalties such as fines will be issued for certain actions. MPI has confirmed that they will continue to prosecute the worst offenders under the Animal Welfare Act.
- Check! Are you doing it right? Encourage others to check too - www.mpi.govt.nz/animalregs
- Ask! Email MPI your questions - [email protected]
- Tell! Call MPI about an animal welfare issue - 0800 00 83 33
Harness Industry Specific Messages
The sections of the Animal Welfare Act that have changed and relate to the Harness Industry are as follows:
19. Use of equipment that may injure horses
- Any equipment used on a horse must not cause injuries such as cuts and abrasions that bleed or discharge, or swelling around the head and neck.
- All equipment used on a horse must ensure the horse is able to breathe and drink normally.
- Use equipment that is approved for use in your sport.
- Equipment that is not clean, ill fitted to your horse, or not used appropriately can cause injuries and swelling, or result in the horse experiencing pain or distress.
- If you use equipment that causes injury to the horse, or swelling around the head or neck, you can be fined $300
20. Persons must not strike a horse on its head
- If you strike a horse on the head you can be fined $500.
Updated codes of welfare
The codes of welfare are being updated to reference the new regulations (no standards are being changed), and these will be available from 1 October.
You can order copies of the codes directly at this link (note that the updated codes will only be on here from 1 October – please don’t order in advance as you’ll receive pre-Oct stock)