Westport Trotting Club Inc - Friday 9th March 2018
- 09 March 2018
Meeting: Westport Trotting Club Inc - Friday 9th March 2018
Form Analyst: Matt Markham
Track Distance: 1206m - Track Surface: Grass
Race 2: (2) Shadow Minister
Race 9: (1) Nurburgring
Best Value Bet
Race 6: (1) Corena Lea
Best Place Bet
Race 8: (6) Bobby T
Early Quaddie R2-5
Late Quaddie R7-10
Race 1: (2.08pm)
Selections: Flyingmasterwilliams (10), Getarattleon (7), To Ri Caitlin (8), Pine Cone (4)
Suggested bet: Flyingmasterwilliams - Each Way
(10) Flyingmasterwilliams is a new addition to the Leo O’Reilly stable. Two good performances at workouts and trials at Methven recently point towards a big run first up for the new barn.
(7) Getarattleon has been very good in two starts to open the career. Has won a workout on the grass before which bodes well for this and should give it a good shake.
(8) To Ri Caitlin had shown plenty in her workouts and trials before getting it wrong on debut. Will surprise a few with how well she goes here.
(4) Pine Cone is never far away from the action and the stand start manners will put him on the speed and not far away from the action throughout.
Race 2: (2.43pm)
Selections: Shadow Minister (2), Let’s Hustle (1), Change Is Good (9), Ideal Draw (4)
Suggested bet: Shadow Minister - Win
(2) Shadow Minister is first starter from the O’Reilly barn and has looked a quick winner in all his public appearances. Very slick qualifying effort on the grass so should be well suited here.
(1) Let’s Hustle will give them all a run for their money here if a clean beginning is forthcoming. Could get a sweet run along and be running at them strongly inside the final furlong.
(9) Change Is Good drops out of the Nevele R Fillies heat at Ashburton where she was far from disgraced. Will appreciate this and did race well here at Christmas.
(4) Ideal Draw probably a wee bit disappointing last time out, but should strip a whole lot fitter for this week’s assignment and the stable races well here.
Race 3: (3.18pm)
Selections: Red Hot Rocket (11), Well Defined (14), Future Queen (8), Storm Alert (4)
Suggested bet: Red Hot Rocket - Win
(11) Red Hot Rocket has been very consistent this season and only needs to punch forward early and take up a good position to be incredibly hard to beat here. Gavin Smith in the bike only builds the confidence.
(14) Well Defined actually won at Orari but has since been disqualified from that performance, so we know a maiden win is well within reach and good manners will see a top three finish for sure.
(8) Future Queen is a stablemate of Well Defined and the master Kevin Townley sits in the sulky. Trial form has looked pretty strong and should give this a good go on debut.
(4) Storm Alert has a huge motor, but the gait isn’t quite there yet. Did go a big one here on Boxing Day so you need to keep an eye on him, especially if he gets it all together.
Race 4: (3.45pm)
Selections: Immortal Change (3), Lilbitbettor (4), Franco Toddy (2), Azza (7)
Suggested bet: Immortal Change - Win
(3) Immortal Change will never get a better chance to win a race than this one and if everything goes as it should then she should be winning what is a very even line up with her the shining light.
(4) Lilbitbettor bubbles under the surface but always does enough to keep you interested. This isn’t a strong field though, and she gets a good chance to get a positive result today.
(2) Franco Toddy is a little bit like Lilbitbettor in that he’s always doing enough to keep you interested. Good third last time and something similar looks on the cards here.
(7) Azza has been there or thereabouts right throughout the career and drops into a wide open race today which could see her getting her best result to date.
Race 5: (4.21pm)
Selections: Skipperland (4), Betterthankaty (2), Speciale Uno (7), Santanna Lad (9)
Suggested bet: Skipperland - Win
(4) Skipperland gets his best chance to grab a maiden win too after some strong recent performances. Should settle on the speed and give them plenty to think about in this line.
(2) Betterthankaty is held in high regard by her trainer and has done a good job so far in her career and gets a good chance to grab a win here if the stars align.
(7) Speciale Uno has no exposed form due to being on debut but has looked more than capable and could give them a fright.
(9) Santanna Lad hadn’t shown much in workouts until the Methven trials a fortnight ago where he was very impressive. Looks tough which will see him a chance in any race on the coast.
Race 6: (4.50pm)
Selections: Corena Lea (1), Take After Me (10), Dana Dawn (3), Chelsea Ella (4)
Suggested bet: Corena Lea - Each Way
(1) Corena Lea offers a bit of value here due to her stand start manners which could see her on the speed and subjected to one of those Gavin Smith front-running special which could see her hard to peg back.
(10) Take After Me is a noted stand start flyer who could try and get across them here and if the lead is there they’ll look to hand up to the right one. Flew over here at Christmas and expect much of the same again here.
(4) Chelsea Ella might slip under the guard here a bit too. Always been a capable horse and the Hungry Pearce team always goes really well when away on a journey.
Race 7: (5.29pm)
Selections: James Dean (7), Run Boy Run (5), Kardesler (4), Franco Tristan (3)
Suggested bet: James Dean/Run Boy Run - Quinella
(7) James Dean returns after a spell and does so without two bits of gear he used to have after being gelded. Should be more relaxed, but looked big and strong still when beating Swamp Major in a recent trial. Will take catching.
(5) Run Boy Run might be able to adopt the tactics his name suggests here and if he’s allowed to set his own terms they might not catch him.
(4) Kardesler was a really good winner at Hororata and continues to race with great conviction. Has a strong turn of foot which sets him in good stead for this week’s assignment.
(3) Franco Tristan is an underrated pacer who went very well on the grass at Blenheim and should be suited by the small field here and might surprise.
Race 8: (5.59pm)
Selections: Motu Bettor Be Quick (10), Bobby T (6), Four Starzzz Legend (2), Clarendon Falcon (3)
Suggested bet: Bobby T - Place
(10) Motu Bettor Be Quick slots into a very winnable race here despite a tricky draw. Always runs good races, just often finds bad luck. A clear run here and it should be money time.
(6) Bobby T also gets into this quite nicely and does generally relish the grass track racing scene -he’s just one of a number of chances in a very even field.
(2) Four Starzzz Legend gets a good barrier draw to operate from and has raced well from good draws in the past so would pay to include in this line up.
(3) Clarendon Falcon was very good here at Christmas time, not so much since though. Gets the chance to get back in form here though if things go to plan.
Race 9: (6.29pm)
Selections: Nurburgring (1), Swap Over (3), Scelta Uno (5), Awayovernight (10)
Suggested bet: Nurburgring - Win
(1) Nurburgring was huge at Addington last Sunday after doing a power of work. Gets the good draw to work off today and with an in-form Sam Ottley in the bike, there’s every chance of a winning turn with a positive drive.
(3) Swap Over has been a bit of a revelation since joining the John Miller team late last year. Gets in well here too and has Gavin Smith in the bike to help the chances - should give it a very good shake.
(5) Scelta Uno has been ticking along quite nicely in recent starts and was very good at Methven last time out. Needs a bit of luck in the running and will be coming at them late.
(10) Awayovernight is drawn up to get the sweet trip on the markers here which should suit and can really roar at them in the final stages.
Race 10: (6.59pm)
Selections: Scallywag Sam (2), Geena’s Girl (10), Sarah Palin (14) Jean Sebastien (13)
Suggested bet: Scallywag Sam - Each Way
(2) Scallywag Sam grew in confidence on this trip over Christmas and has been not bad behind some very good three-year-olds since then. Can trot to the front and give them something to chase here.
(10) Genna’s Girl burst through a gap late at Addington to win last week and with a similarly run race she could rush at them late again to get the chocolates.
(14) Sarah Palin is on her farewell tour and is doing a great job of it. Gets the advantage on her fellow backmarkers due to her usual flying beginnings. Should settle handy enough and can reel them in.
(13) Jean Sebastien was a big winner her on Boxing Day, stalking the speed and booming home down centre track. If he can produce the same again he will go close to winning once more.