Auckland Trotting Club Inc – Friday 2nd March
- 02 March 2018
Meeting: Auckland Trotting Club Inc – Friday 2nd March
Form Analyst: Andrew Fitzgerald
Track Distance: 1006m Surface: All Weather
Race 1: (3) Aloka - $20
Race 6: (5) Elle Mac - $30
Race 7: (7) Jesse Duke - $15
Best Value Bet
Race 5: (9) Sunset Peak $15 - Eachway
Early Quaddie R2-5
2,9,12,16/1,8,9/7/5,7,9,10 - $24 gets you 50%
Late Quaddie R8-11
3,5,7/1,2,9,10/5,7,8,9/1,2,5,7 - $38.40 gets you 20%
Race 1: (5.41pm)
Selections: (3) Aloka, (1) Wrangler
Suggested bet: (3) Aloka
Comments: Just a small six horse field to kick start the meeting and it’s the South Island trained (3) Aloka who looks to be the leading chance here today. Looking to complete a hatrick of wins after two impressive performances including a 0.9L victory at Addington in a mile rate of 1.54(1950m trip), with last sectionals of 55.9. If he can repeat that performance tonight he’ll be tough to roll.
(1) Wrangler was the stables intention to hold the lead last week and he didn’t get any peace in front after being drilled for a fair portion of the race, dropped out to finish 20L behind Pat’s Delight. Smaller field here and he has the gate speed to lead again and John Dunn has options if he hands up or holds the lead tonight, quinella claims.
(2) Check In & (6) Step Up both hail from the Steve Telfer barn so must be respected. They have both been getting home well in races of late and with some speed on up front they are both eachway players.
Race 2: (6.12pm)
Selections: (9) Storm Cloud (AUS), (12) Anse Vata, (16) Alta Venetia, (2) Sex On Fire
Suggested bet: (9) Storm Cloud (AUS) - Eachway
Comments: The Brent Mangos pair of (9) Storm Cloud (AUS) & (12) Anse Vata go on top in this wide open affair for me.
(9) Storm Cloud(AUS) has shown he’s got plenty of ability with just the three lifetime starts for a win and two minor placings, freshened after his maiden victory here in November. First standing start is a test but good enough to beat these if he steps away with them. (12) Anse Vata worked hard last start and did well to only be beaten 1.8L by George, impressive win three starts ago, eachway value in this even field.
(16) Alta Venetia has made our black book in her last two starts after storming home in both of them, a similar runs looks to be on the cards here from the unruly on the 10m handicap, place claims.
(2) Sex On Fire has certainly made an impressive start to her career, she has been heavily supported by punters lately and goes well from the stand start, expect her to in front or on the speed and over the 2700m it’s going to depend on how much company she gets in front if she can kick on to win.
Race 3: (6.42pm)
Selections: (8) Robb Stark, (1) Royal Lincoln, (9) Rain Man, (7) Gupta’s Cullen
Suggested bet: (1) Royal Lincoln - Place
Comments: (8) Robb Stark has drawn a wide barrier here but this 3yo son of Mach Three has looked like a quality animal in a short career to date, he showcased that with a strong victory a fortnight again on this track and is a field that looks to only have the four main players he can win again.
(1) Royal Lincoln was well supported last start but didn’t kick on after having a sweet trip in transit. Looks like he’s set to receive another nice trip tonight but he must improve on last start’s effort if he is going to win this, quinella claims.
(9) Rain Man drops back from racing the likes of Chase Auckland and Hail Christian recently and is drawn to get a lovely trip, handy horse that can flash along the markers late and grab this.
(7) Gupta’s Cullen continues to find one better of late and they haven’t been of the quality of the three runners mentioned above, I don’t expect that she’ll be able to cross from barrier seven so they’ll have to head back and look for one run at them. She won several races down South when trained by Jonny Cox by sit sprinting and if they run along up front then she can storm home down the outside.
Race 4: (7.13pm)
Selections: (7) Chase Auckland, (3) Sheriff, (5) Sicario, (6) American Brave
Suggested bet: Quinella - Banker 7 – With 3 & 5
Comments: (7) Chase Auckland Unbeaten in seven starts means all sorts of labels have been slapped on this son of Auckland Reactor, the Sire Stakes winner and last start a tough performance to win the Sale Series pace after looking like he was going to be beaten by All U Need Is Faith at the 150m mark. He toughed it out then a kicked back to grab the victory. Class takes you along way so he looks like he’ll make it 8/8.
(3) Sheriff is a colt I rate in the top five 3yo colts in NZ at the moment, his latest victory was a dominate performance and the fact Blair Orange has confirmed he’s going to stick with this fella for the rest of the season gives him a huge push. He’s drawn well here and can lead off the gate, he might get away with some cheap sectionals in front and if he puts a couple of lengths on this field at the bend then Chase Auckland and co will have to be pretty well screwed down to win this race. Place bet looks safe on this runner.
(5) Sicario is another to hail from the All Stars barn and the stable have plenty of time for this guy, bold showing expected but he might have to do plenty of work parked out here which could be the telling blow at the end of this event. Trifecta must.
(6) American Brave is drawn to follow the two All Star runners everywhere they go, can get home well and is a first 4 player.
Race 5: (7.43pm)
Selections: (9) Sunset Peak, (7) Shady Sadie, (5) One Bid Buys, (10) Yagunnakissmeornot
Suggested bet: (9) Sunset Peak - Eachway
Comments: (9) Sunset Peak returns to the north after a good performance behind the smart Arnold last start, only starting off a 15m handicap here and she’s got plenty of speed to pick these ones up late, leading eachway chance.
(7) Shady Sadie continues to run home late in her races, a bit of class about this one and she does look a leading light in this field.
(5) One Bid Buys won well for new connections two starts ago and followed that up with a nice enough 5th last time, off the front mark she can be in a handy spot early and have eachway claims.
(10) Yagunnakissmeornot has to give a nice enough field 30m’s here which is usually not her go to but three starts ago she did finish just 1.3L by top trotter Temporale in the feature on this track so whiles it’s not her favourite distance she can still record good time here. Will still want some value around this mare and wouldn’t be backing her if she’s too short.
Race 6: (8.13pm)
Selections: (5) Elle Mac, (10) Bettor Joy, (11) Dizzy Miss Lizzy
Suggested bet: (5) Elle Mac - Win
Comments: (5) Elle Mac goes on top for me here from the All Stars stables and with a handy barrier draw, Natalie Rasmussen will work forward and put this filly on the speed and be tough to run down here. She has a wonderful course record (4-3-0) and although this is here first time at the 2700m distance she has won well enough over the 2200m in good time that I don’t think it will worry here.
(10) Bettor Joy was an impressive winner over Elle Mac last start at Addington, a filly in form and has Dexter Dunn in the sulky which is a major help. Goes well at this course (8-3-1).
(11) Dizzy Miss Lizzy disappointed her followers with a below average run last start, expecting her to bounce back here and be fighting out the top three again. Blair Orange in the cart and a draw that could work out quite well here.
Race 7: (8.43pm)
Selections: (7) Jesse Duke, (2) The Moonshadow, (5) A Bettor Act, (4) Franco Niven
Suggested bet: (7) Jesse Duke - Win
Comments: A 2yo race dominated by the All Stars stable and the debut win of (7) Jesse Duke at this track was almighty impressive, he was quite green that day so improvement is expected with that debut run under his belt. Drawn a touch wide but expect him to be put into the race down the back and look to out tough them again.
(2) The Moonshadow is on debut from a handy barrier, trial runs have been nice enough without winning them, must be respected in this field, quinella chance.
(5) A Bettor Act hasn’t really set the world on fire at the trials and workouts but stable must be respected in a field like this, we’ll find out more after tonight’s run must a first four player.
(4) Franco Niven was the talk 2yo of the North who threw his toys out of the cot on debut, gear changes expected and an improved run is expected, might be at good place value tonight.
Race 8: (9.13pm)
Selections: (3) Utmost Delight, (7) Star Galleria, (5) Jack’s Legend, (4) Northview Hustler
Suggested bet: (3) Utmost Delight - Place
Comments: The Steven Reid pair of (3) Utmost Delight & (7) Star Galleria have a strong hold on the night’s FFA race, a strong winner at Addington last start will see Utmost Delight well supported from a handy barrier draw tonight, expecting her to roll forward and be tough to run down today. Star Galleria was just 3.7L behind Vincent in the Auckland Cup two starts ago, followed that up with a strong win over Heaven Rocks at Cambridge. Almost two months between runs is a slight concern here.
(5) Jack’s Legend continues to put up big runs without winning lately, another place chance in a field of this quality.
(4) Northview Hustler was only just beaten by a handy one in Pat’s Delight last time out, prior victory was big after doing it tough, no reason he can’t add some value to the trifecta tonight.
Race 9: (9.43pm)
Selections: (9) Garta, (1) Sea Change, (2) Princess Tiffany, (10) Kendra
Suggested bet: (9) Garta - Place
Comments: (9) Garta has trialled impressively since coming north and was a touch unlucky on debut at Invercargill when being held up down the straight, luck required from this draw but she’s a talented filly who can take this out.
(1) Sea Change has drawn well for this event and with David Butcher in the cart she’ll get every chance to make this a winning debut, must have in your quaddies today.
(2) Princess Tiffany hails from the All Stars barn and has trialled impressively behind some handy types, drawn well, leading hope.
(10) Kendra has trialled impressively after failing a vet check for large money a few months ago, a filly with plenty of ability who can make her presence felt here.
Race 10: (10.13pm)
Selections: (5) Charlemagne, (8) The Almighty Johnson, (7) Djokovic, (9) Lemond
Suggested bet: (5) Charlemagne - Eachway
Comments: (5) Charlemagne is running himself into some of his best form at the age of 10, his latest two runs have been like the Charlemagne of old who won two jewels. Prepared to play an eachway bet around this boy in this field.
(8) The Almighty Johnson starts off the 40m handicap here but that shouldn’t be a concern, was good enough to finish just 0.3L behind Temporale at Cambridge in the Flying Stakes last start, that’s good form for this event and goes well from a stand start.
(7) Djokovic & (9) Lemond are both in good form and must be included in your trifecta and first four bets tonight.
Race 11: (10.39pm)
Selections: (2) Happy Place, (5) Bettor Step Aside, (7) Sea Of Gold, (1) English Rose
Suggested bet: Boxed Quinella
Comments: (2) Happy Place is a maiden taking on the race winners here but his last start was handy and was a recent winner at the workouts, eachway value from the handy barrier draw.
(5) Bettor Step Aside did everything but win last week after being beaten by a nice one, he’s roll forward again he and be tough to run down.
(7) Sea Of Gold continues to run good races of late and 3.9L behind Robb Stark is good form for this event tonight, quaddie must.
(1) English Rose can provide an upset on her best Canterbury form with Ricky May back in the cart from this handy barrier draw. She broke last start but if she can handy this field today she can upset them and spice up your quaddie returns.