Taranaki Racing Inc - Thursday 1st March
- 01 March 2018
Meeting: Taranaki Racing Inc – Thursday 1st March
Form Analyst: Andrew Fitzgerald
Track Distance: 1630m Surface: Grass
Race 5: (11) Pay Master - $10 Win
Race 6: (1) Waingaro Mara - $10 Eachway
Best Place Bet:
Race 2: (9) Knights Desire - $30 - Place
Early Quaddie R1-4
5,6,7,8/1,9/3,4,6,9,10,13,14/4,8,11 - $33.60% Quaddie gets you 20%
Late Quaddie R5-8
2,3,10,11,12,13,14/1,7/3,7/2,5 - $14% Quaddie gets you 25%
3,4,6,9,10,13,14/4,8,11/2,3,10,11,12,13,14/1,7/3,7/2 - $29.40 %Pick – gets you 10%
Race 1: (3.34pm)
Selections: (7) Sol Invictus, (8) George, (5) Blood And Whisky, (6) November Guy
Suggested bet: $20% First4 – 7/5,6,8/5,6,8/2,4,5,6,7,8
Comments: Happy to take a first four bet here for a sly $20 and anchoring (7) Sol Invictus currently at around the $8 price. He has recently joined the stables of Jay Abernethy and he’s been starting off big handicaps at Manawatu in his last six starts. Back to the mobile today he won’t have to do any chasing today. Seven starts from a mobile and he has placed in four of those, that was a few years ago before an injury and against top class company. Hard to beat here.
(8) George has won two of his last three including a solid enough win at Alexandra Park after a handy trip, only the two goes from the Mobile for no success, but is a winner on the grass three starts back. Nice place bet.
(5) Blood And Whisky was only beaten 0.9L after doing plenty of work in a junior drivers affair last start, has trialled at Alexandra Park since then, Tony Cameron will roll forward with his fella and be tough to run down today.
(6) November Guy didn’t handle the 30m handicap at Manawatu in his last two runs, good mobile and great grass track stats, a must have in multiple bets here.
Race 2: (4.08pm)
Selections: (1) Marrera, (9) Knights Desire, (12) Womeninleague, (13) Quick As Fire
Suggested bet: $30 place (9) Knights Desire
Comments: (1) Marrera gets another nice barrier draw to work with, last time he drew barrier one he was only just beaten on the post by Waikari Fire. Over the short course 1750m it’s tough to see this one not filling another top three placing with the form of others in this field.
(9) Knights Desire drawn to follow the likely leader all the way here and has been going well on the grass lately, looks one of the best place bets of the day with the trip he’s going to get.
(12) Womeninleague is an interesting runner having joined the stables of Arna Donnelly with Alicia Harrison having leased this runner. The two Canterbury runs of this runner had merit especially the debut run where she was only 2.8L away from Samskara. One to watch over the coming weeks as she is defiantly good enough to win a maiden in the Central districts.
(13) Quick As Fire grabbed hold of the bit in one of his recent trials and was taken around to the front where he set a solid tempo before being run down by a couple of nice enough horses. Has the spreaders on and did put in some rough strides at times at the trials so this grass track which is a galloping track could be a bit rough and might not help his pacing action. A 3yo Bettor’s Delight trained by Derek Balle and driven by David Butcher has to be respected in this field today.
Race 3: (4.40pm)
Selections: (4) Angus Fogg, (10) Brooks Belle, (9) Te Kouka Breeze, (13) Need Luck
Suggested bet: $29.40 for 10% - %Pick 6: 3,4,6,9,10,13,14/4,8,11/2,3,10,11,12,13,14/1,7/3,7/2
Comments: I’m prepared to take the risk on (4) Angus Fogg today as he’s a horse I have a lot of time for, he’s only won the one race from 20 starts but he has ability and could easily turn up and dominate this field, stand start manners have let him down in his last three runs but back to the mobile which he is unbeaten behind (1 for 1) he can easily put this field away. A tough trot field to start the pick 6 with so we’ll take a few in this and hope to get through to the last leg.
(10) Brooks Belle cleared maidens with a handy victory two starts ago and followed that up with a nice placing in this grade. Drawn to be mid pack here without doing anything early and can let loose with a good sprint at these, eachway claims in this trot field which lacks form.
(9) Te Kouka Breeze is drawn behind a first starter over the short course 1750m distance so is going to require luck as she’s in danger of being covered up on the pegs here, in good form of late but the grass track stats don’t read that well so place may be best here.
(13) Need Luck is on debut here and has won his last three trials at Cambridge in nice enough fashion, manners are going to be the key on debut over this short course but if you see him getting home well here then he will be one to follow over the next few meetings as a quick winner.
Race 4: (5.16pm)
Selections: (4) Whale Rider, (8) Eldolar, (11) Razor Brogden
Suggested bet: Boxed Quinella 4,8,11
Comments: The Arna Donnelly stable look to have a strong hold on this field with both (4) Whale Rider & (8) Eldolar bringing handy form of late into this even event today. Arna takes the reins on Whale Rider who has been in good form against some handy types of late, drawn to lead here and be a leading eachway chance with solid grass stats to his name. Scott Phelan takes the reins on Eldolar who Arna has been driving of late, a winner two starts ago from a wide draw at Otaki this 5yo Elsu gelding has tidy grass/mobile and distance stats and should be a leading player today.
(11) Razor Brogden had a gallop when in a handy spot last start, prior win on the grass at Otaki was good after being wide for the last 900m, no reason he can’t pick up a slice of the prize here even from the back row draw.
Race 5: (5.53pm)
Selections: (11) Pay Master, (2) Itsokbeingbetter, (10) Jack Bates, (14) Rangi Rangdu
Suggested bet: $20% Quaddie – 2,3,10,11,12,13,14/1,7/3,7/2,5
Comments: The most even field to kick start the late quaddie today and being the 3rd leg of today’s pick 6 it’s going to force us to go wide here which means to get the minimum % we will have to go short over the last three legs.
(11) Pay Master was well backed last start after being tipped out on the Boy Get Paid Facebook tipping page, he was first up for a new trainer and got out late to charge home,expect some repeat customers to come and back this runner again and he does look a leading light in an average form race.
(2) Itsokbeingbetter has an aggressive driver on in Kyle Marshall and a handy barrier draw to work with, his form of late has been handy enough without winning and with just the one win in 55 race starts he might find another one better again today but from the handy barrier draw he is a must have in pick 6 and your quaddie today.
(10) Jack Bates is the winner of seven races and his form three starts ago when beaten 0.5l is good enough to be winning this race here, he took on some better ones at Manawatu and was outclassed but back to the grass is a bonus here.
(14) Rangi Rangdu is having his 100th start today and could easily be a winning milestone with his form of late being good enough to take this, bad draw is a blow to his chances but he’ll be getting home well and is one to watch when he draws better.
Race 6: (6.19pm)
Selections: (1) Waingaro Mara, (7) Tennyson Inlet, (12) Lis Rulz, (3) Hold All Bets
Suggested bet: $10 Eachway - (1) Waingaro Mara
Comments: We’ve got to narrow down the quaddie and pick 6 somewhere and I think this is one leg I’m prepared to set it down to just the two leading chances. On top goes (1) Waingaro Mara who drops back significantly in grade for this event and comes up with the ace barrier draw over the short course, he’s had no luck in his last two starts and the run prior to them he was seen flashing home for a nice 4th only beaten 3.7L behind Somewhereinbrooklyn who has won again since then. Looks a great eachway bet on today’s card.
(7) Tennyson Inlet is the other one I’m going to put on our tickets, Jo Stevens has got this horse going along well and the last start third although beaten 4.3L had merit. Just 2L behind McDaknife three starts back puts him right into this, can tough it out and do work as well. Must have.
(12) Lis Rulz & (13) Hold All Bets have both drawn the back row and their recent form lines have been good with the former having won two of her last five runs and the latter have finished in front of Tennyson Inlet last start, it’s just the draws that may hold them both back from being winning chances but they are must haves for multiple bets.
Race 7: (6.46pm)
Selections: (3) Classie American, (7) Ideal Roman, (8) Brydon Ideal, (6) Black Chevron
Suggested bet: (3) Classie American - Eachway
Comments: (3) Classie American continues to run quinellas with Black Chevron and last time he missed out on the victory, the mobile start suits this guy and he has terrific grass stats (5starts– 3 wins- 2 placings) and gets another handy barrier draw to work with, a leading junior driver on board. Happy to play around him with an eachway bet, more place than win with a 1 over 2 split suggested for your bet.
(7) Ideal Roman did well to get as close as he did after being stuck on the markers last start, prior run at Alexandra Park had merit and is probably the best form in this field. Steve Telfer/David Butcher stable/driver combo must be respected and he could be at nice win money in this field.
(8) Brydon Ideal is talented but drawn to be out the back here and if they don’t go hard up front he might struggle to pick them up in the straight, last start he drilled them into the ground over the 3000m trip, place claims here.
(6) Black Chevron got the spoils over Classie American last start, horse is in good form and lightweight driver in Jay Abernethy on board, place claims in this field from a wide draw.
Race 8: (7.11pm)
Selections: (2) Toro Delago, (5) Lady Liberty, (4) The Urban Spaceman, (3) Roberta Slack
Suggested bet: (2) Toro Delago - Place
Comments: I’m going to be sucked in again by (2) Toro Delago here after tipping him for most of his recent starts where he continues to find one better but today he gets a barrier draw to lead over the 1750m and Peter Ferguson has options when in front, he does look the leading chance in this event but If the place money on the tote gets out to a nice figure then that could be worth having a small nudge at. Happy to anchor him in the pick 6 and then take a cover horse in the quaddie.
(5) Lady Liberty is my other runner for the last leg of today’s late quaddie, the stable were surprised at her run on debut but the trial form had stacked up so we had her in our selections and she went close to winning it. She has drawn in the middle of the pack here but it’s not a strong field and a winning turn for this 3yo filly doesn’t look far away. Can spice up our quaddie and pick 6 returns.
(4) The Urban Spaceman & (3) Roberta Slack are both on debut from handy stables and are drawn to have every chance on debut. (4) The Urban Spaceman trialled well and is trained by Chris Garlick who used to train in partnership with Steve Telfer. Tote watch on this runner as he must be respected in this field.