Areas of Learning
Harnessing Your Horse Power is based on Levels Three and Four of the curriculum and incorporates achievement aims from:
- Movement Concepts and Motor Skills Strand
- Healthy Communitites and Environements Strand
- Personal Health and and Physical Development
Harnessing Your Horse Power identifies how sporting experiences influence the development of peoples physical and social skills.
Students will understand the social, cultural, economic and environmental factors that influence the attitudes, beliefs and prcatices associatied wth sport. They will investigate and critically appraise the education value of sport and consider the effects of sport from social, cultural and scientific perspectives.
The resource kit provided to your school links to a range of activities covering curriculum requirements for:
- Social Studies
- Science and Technology
- Health and Physical Education
- The Arts
Part One - INTRODUCING THE HARNESS HORSE POWER - ORIENTATING PHASE
- Find out the extent of the students knowledge of the harness racing industry
- What are the various components that make up harness racing?
- What is the history of the horse?
- How did harness racing become established?
- Identifying the horse
- Naming the horse
Part Two - RACING THIS TIME - ENHANCING PHASE
- Identify the people who work in the harness racing industry
- Who are the people directly and indirectly employed in the industry?
- Who are our harness heros?
- What is it like to work in the industry?
Part Three - THE HOMEWARD STRAIGHT - SYNTHESISING PHASE
- Bringing together the learnming experience so far.
- The care and training of the horse
- The gear needed to race a horse from harness to sulky
- Elite drivers
- Race tracks