Meeting: Auckland Trotting Club - 9th March 2018
Form Analyst: Andrew Fitzgerald
Track Distance: 1006m Surface: All Weather
Race 7: (6) Chase Auckland
Race 9: (4) Star Galleria
Race 10: (5) Delight In Me
Best Value Bet
Race 6: (1) Garta
Early Quaddie R2-5
Late Quaddie R7-10
Race 1: (5.49pm)
Selections: (9) Puma Road, (7) Sex On Fire, (1) Prince George, (10) Alta Venetia
Suggested bet: (9) Puma Road - Eachway
Comments: (9) Puma Road has been freshened for today’s resumption, going along well at the workout’s recently and the Steven Reid team are on fire lately. In a small but handy field he is good enough to start the night off with an eachway bet.
(7) Sex On Fire continues to out in solid races this prep and expected to be well supported tonight. Watch the tote moves on this runner.
A recent addition to the Jack Mackinnon stable (1) Prince George put in a good effort over the 2700m which isn’t his idea distance, this is 2700m but on last weeks run and his good manners he can get away early and into a nice spot here. Place chance.
(10) Alta Venetia has the ability but manners let him down last start. Prior runs were really good - eachway claims with manners.
Race 2: (6.19pm)
Selections: (8) Master Moonlite, (1) Gupta’s Cullen, (5) Rain Man, (2) Royal Lincoln
Suggested bet: (8) Master Moonlite - Win
Comments: (8) Master Moonlite had to do too much work last start and although drawn wide he is a horse with plenty of ability and Cran Dalgety has a big opinion of this guy. Dexter Dunn in the sulky and if you’re taking a quaddie you should only need him and (1) Gupta’s Cullen. She was just fair last start but from the ace draw the stable mentioned last week they’d be driving her positively so expect her to use her good gate speed and although she continues to find a couple better, John Dunn could steal this one in front. Eachway claims.
(5) Rain Man got the perfect trip last week and won well, will have to do work from tonight’s draw but from a good barn so must be included in your trifecta and first 4’s.
(2) Royal Lincoln has drawn well but was beaten up the lane last start after leading up, form of late has been around the mark without winning. Place claims in this field.
Race 3: (6.49pm)
Selections: (5) Girls On Film, (3) Anse Vata, (7) Caitlin’s Surprise, (9) Amanda’s Spur
Suggested bet: (3) Anse Vata - Place
Comments: (5) Girls On Film has put a hatrick of wins together and in this field she looks set to make it four in a row. Tough to beat.
(3) Anse Vata has good early manners and should find himself in a good spot from the front row and on the pegs i would be backing this trotter for a place in this event as i think he’s the safest option.
(7) Caitlin’s Surprise has been in career best form of late and improved that with a good 2nd in the Breeders race last week, drawn to get a good drag into the race and can let down a good sprint, eachway.
(9) Amanda’s Spur continues a fine spot of form with a really nice win at Alex Park last week, 20m handicap is a bit tough but is a must have for first 4’s.
Race 4: (7.19pm)
Selections: (8) Delishka, (2) Opoutama, (1) American Empress, (7) American Tart
Suggested bet: (2) Opoutama - Place
Comments: (8) Delishka returned from a great Australian campaign to finish a handy 3rd behind Star Galleria, has the gate speed to use in an early war but can sit sprint just as good. Quality mare who is a leading chance here.
The toughest to beat is (2) Opoutama for me, she’s got the gate speed and should be able to cross to the pegs and they’ll be happy to stay in front here which gives her a good advantage over Delishka. The place money around Opoutama looks to be where i will have having a bet as it’s tough to see her not finishing in the top three.
Drawn well is (1) American Empress has been in good form against these mares, should get a dream trip from the draw, upset claims.
(7) American Tart hasn’t had much good luck at this track in feature racing, forced to work from this draw to get handy or might be spotting them too much, good enough to go with Bonnie Joan at Addington and she’d be the favourite in this field if she was here. Place looks best.
Race 5: (7.49pm)
Selections: (5) Sunset Peak, (8) C K Spur, (7) Sertorius, (12) The Almighty Johnson
Suggested bet: (5) Sunset Peak - Eachway
Comments: (5) Sunset Peak put in a handy enough run when back at Alexandra Park for a while and carried a flat tyre for a portion of the race which makes the run that much better. She’s a smart mare who may sneak under the radar here.
The John/Josh Dickie pair of (8) C K Spur & (7) Sertorius have both been in super form of late and are last start winners so must be respected in this field.
(12) The Almighty Johnson is the class factor here after his recent runs in the big trot races, forced to give a few nice trotters a 20m head start but he’s good enough to play a part in this event.
Race 6: (8.18pm)
Selections: (2) Princess Tiffany, (3) Bubbled Up, (1) Garta, (9) Miss Streisand
Suggested bet: Trifecta - 2,3/1,2,3/1,2,3,6,9
Comments: The All Star pair of (2) Princess Tiffany & (3) Bubbled Up were both super on debut and they appear to be the toughest to beat in this field, they are filly’s who look to have the ability to stamp their mark tonight as the leading 2yo fillies in the Country.
The Robert Dunn trained (1) Garta got covered up on the pegs and pulled hard, drawn the ace is a huge help as she has high gate speed and Dexter Dunn has options, she’s talented and can upset the All Star’s fillies.
(9) Miss Streisand is a talented filly who is drawn to get a lovely drag through from the second row, if she doesn’t get covered up on the pegs then she can flash home into the money here.
Race 7: (8.48pm)
Selections: (6) Chase Auckland, (9) Sicario, (4) Sheriff
Suggested bet: (6) Chase Auckland - Win
Comments: (6) Chase Auckland is still the stand out 3yo in New Zealand at the moment, defeated for the first time last week by Sicario he never looked likely after the slow sectionals where they only dashed home the last 300m. He didn’t steer that well but still attacked the line. Drawn a touch wide but expect improvement from last week’s run which would have blown some cobwebs out.
(9) Sicario got away with murder in front the other day and dashed home to defeat Chase Auckland, he’s the only one on the second row today so Mark Purdon will be trying to punch through into a handy spot early, good enough to cause another upset.
(4) Sheriff is a talented colt who did well behind the All Star runners last week in the prelude, he needed them to run along a bit more in front for him to get into it. Has the draw to gain an early advantage tonight. Place claims.
Race 8: (9.17pm)
Selections: (6) Jesse Duke, (1) The Moonshadow, (8) A Bettor Act, (5) Supreme Dominator
Suggested bet: (1) The Moonshadow - Place
Comments: (6) Jesse Duke made a mistake last week at a short price, win prior was strong so expect those issues to have been sorted this week and look for a much improved horse tonight, Tough to beat.
Hardest to beat are his stable mates (1) The Moonshadow & (8) A Bettor Act. The former has the ace draw to work with a put in a good effort last week on debut, improvement expected with that first race day start while the latter has drawn wide but was another to catch the eye last week. Place claims from a bad barrier.
(5) Supreme Dominator upset them all last week and drawn inside Jesse Duke is an advantage. Look for them to go forward and try to get an early advantage over the more favoured runners.
Race 9: (9.46pm)
Selections: (4) Star Galleria, (1) Jack’s Legend
Suggested bet: (4) Star Galleria - Win
Comments: (4) Star Galleria should be tough to beat again after a smarter win last week stable in form. Hard to beat.
(1) Jack’s Legend is drawn to be the main danger after a super run in defeat last week, talented horse and from the ace draw he has options if he stays in front or hands up. Eachway claims.
Race 10: (10.16pm)
Selections: (5) Delight In Me, (1) English Rose, (4) Ideal Holiday, (9) Bill Haley
Suggested bet: (1) English Rose - Place
Comments: (5) Delight In Me continues to be beaten by really handy horses and this looks like a big drop back in class tonight. One of the best bets of the night.
Canterbury raider (1) English Rose finally did everything right after i gave her one last chance to show her best Canterbury form that would make her competitive in the North. Drawn well again but Delight In Me looks to have more ability then this one, Place claims again this week.
(4) Ideal Holiday has made a good start to the career and drawn nicely here, stepping up in cloaks but must rate as a trifecta chance.
(9) Bill Haley is drawn to do no work on the pegs and can sneak home late into a first four spot.